DNR Announces 2003 Maryland Forest Service Awardees
ANNAPOLIS – Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Secretary C. Ronald Franks today honored the dedication and professionalism of six employees of the Forest Service today with the 2003 Forest Service Awards.
The awardees, which were honored among their peers at an executive team meeting today, are:
- Forester of the Year – Thomas H. Frederick (Rising Sun, Md.) works in Cecil County;
- Ranger of the Year – Rodney F. Riffle (Rockville, Md.) works in Montgomery and Howard Counties;
- Unsung Hero – Kimberly (Sue) Mahanes (Delta, Pa.) works primarily out of the Bel Air Regional office;
- Leadership – Elizabeth (Becky) Wilson (Oakland, Md.) works in the four Western Counties of Frederick, Washington, Allegany and Garrett; and
- Team – Carroll County Project Staff: Donna Baker (Hanover, Pa.) and Beth Sanders (Carroll Valley, Pa.).
“These employees embody the work ethic and tenets of the Forest Service “said Forest Service Director Steven W. Koehn. “Their commitment to excellence inspires us all.”
The Forest Service Awards were established to honor and recognize those individuals and teams who have performed their duties in an outstanding manner, and have gone above and beyond expectations. The recipients of these Awards are nominated from each region, and then acted upon through a review and selection process conducted by a committee of the previous year’s Forest Service Award recipients.
For a full description of each awardee accomplishments please see the attached memo from the State Forester.
Posted March 22, 2004