Don't know where to begin? Think using environmentally sensitive materials and techniques are too daunting of a task? Well, don't worry … they’re not. In fact in many instances it will be easier, cheaper, and healthier.
The two most important questions to ask are: "What are my goals?" and "How can I integrate several systems together?" The key is to stop thinking of your roof, materials, windows, landscaping, or other component as single, separated items. Instead, by incorporating elements you will quickly realize how each component affects, and is effected by, each other.
There are several on-line resources (listed below) that can help you to pick and choose those techniques that best fit your needs, while still respecting your time and financial budgets. The information provided will assist you in your goals to maximize the resource and cost efficiency of your home or building, add beauty to your surroundings, and ensure a healthier living and working space – resulting in a more gentle impact on our natural resources.
- American Institute of Architects’ Online Resource Directory: http://www.aiacbcgreen.org/
- Earth Friendly Products and Suppliers: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/deptmpl.asp?url=/content/dep/ipm/products.asp
- Sustainable Building Resource Directory: http://www.sbrd.net/
- Sustainable Building Resources: http://www.earthcrafthouse.com/documents/factsheets/6resourc.pdf
- Builders Guide to Reuse & Recycling: http://www.mwcog.org/buildersrecyclingguide/
Environmental Design Home