There are many other conservation initatives that are being explored in addition to the
management tools like the FMP. These efforts are listed below.
- Delaware and New Jersey are conducting studies on the density of horseshoe crab eggs on Delaware Bay beaches during the spring spawning season.
- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is conducting a tagging survey of horseshoe crabs to determine their movement, spawning frequency and spawning behavior.
- The University of Delaware is developing a synthetic attractant for the eel and whelk fisheries. This compound could reduce the use of horseshoe crabs as bait.
- Watermen in Delaware are experimenting with bait bags to extend the amount of time the bait will last and reduce the size of bait used the by ¾.
One individual is also experimenting with an alternative whelk pot design to extend the useful life of the bait.
- Biomedical firms are developing a synthetic form of LAL to test the sterility of medical products.