The Chesapeake Forest
2014 Hunt Club Lottery
NOTE: The Lottery is closed for 2014. The MD Forest Service will contact the winners by phone or e-mail within 48 hours of the drawing. If you decline the tract that you won it will be awarded to another lottery participant.
The department has completed its comprehensive planning process for managing hunting opportunities on Chesapeake Forest Lands, which will incorporate both public and leased hunting. Chesapeake Forest tracts open to public hunting can be viewed on the Chesapeake Forest website. Hunt clubs that are interested in obtaining a hunting lease agreement can enter the lottery for one of the non-leased tracts that are currently available for hunt club leasing.
The following are requirements and information for entering the Hunt Club Lottery:
- Only hunt club members at least 18 years of age can participate in the lottery.
- A hunt club must have at least two members licensed to hunt in the State of Maryland with one person designated as the club president.
- Each member may fill out a lottery form. Only one submittal per person will be placed in the lottery.
- You are allowed to choose up to 4 tracts for the Hunting Lottery.
- If your lottery entry is selected, you will be awarded the first available tract that you choose.
- It is recommended that you visit the tracts before you make your selection. Some tracts have limited access.
- Hunt clubs are expected to help maintain access roads, gates and signs along on the leased property.
- A hunt club is also permitted to camp on the tract; however they must obtain a camping permit from the Forest Service Office for each camping trailer. Permits are $50 for deer season camping (Sept. 1 – Jan. 31) and $25 for Turkey season camping (Apr. 1 – May 31). Trailers must be removed from the property from (Feb. 1 - Mar. 31)
- There is NO FEE to enter into the lottery drawing.
- Hunt clubs are required to carry a Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy, with one million dollars per occurrence, two million annual aggregate, for the club.
- Proof of insurance is required upon payment.
To see a copy of a State Hunting Lease Click Here.
A random automated on-line drawing for available Chesapeake Forest tracts in the lease program will be held Tuesday, August 26, 2014 @ 2:00 pm.
The MD Forest Service will contact the winners by phone or e-mail within 48 hours of the drawing. If you decline the tract that you won it will be awarded to another lottery participant.
The deadline for payment and required paperwork will be Tuesday, September 9, 2014.
Note: The person who wins a tract in the lottery is the one who must sign the lease as the Club President. The Club President must bring the following items to their scheduled appointment in order to obtain the new lease:
- A photo ID
- A list of club members
Any club that fails to make payment on a lease by the payment deadline indicated will forfeit their lease. The tract will then be offered to the runner up club chosen in the lottery that had that tract selected on their lottery submission.
Questions concerning the lottery should be directed to
Denise Snyder at 410-632-3732 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the Tract Names Above for Property Maps.
Click here for Directions to Tracts