Learn More about the History of Conservation in Maryland
Forest and Parks
- “The Voice of Long Hill” - Kitty Shortall - 1919 to 2013 by William Offutt Johnson
The Garrett County Historical Society Salutes 100 Years of Fighting Forest Fires in Maryland, by William Offutt Johnson
Please Note: Due to the large file size of this original document, it is presented here in 7 consecutive parts.
- DNR Dedicates Fred W. Besley Demonstration Forest, April 23, 2012
- History of Maryland Forest Service and Maryland Park Service. From the DNR website.
- Functions of the Forest Service. From the Maryland State Archives Maryland Manual.
- Functions of the Maryland Park Service. From the Maryland State Archives Maryland Manual.
- Maryland Forestry & Parks Centennial. From the DNR website.
- Report of the State Department of Forestry / Report of the Maryland State Board of Forestry (Published 1910-1932). Available at the DNR Library. View the DNR Library catalog record.
Books & Articles
- Bailey, Robert F. (2006). Maryland's forests and parks: a century of progress. Charleston, SC: Arcadia. Available at the DNR Library. View the DNR Library catalog record.
- Buckley, Geoffrey L. and J. Morgan Grove. (2001). Sowing the seeds of forest conservation: Fred Besley and the Maryland story, 1906-1923. Maryland Historical Magazine 96(3): 303-327. Contact the DNR librarian or your local library to request a copy.
- Buckley, Geoffrey L., Robert F. Bailey, and J. Morgan Grove. (2006). The Patapsco Forest Reserve: Establishing a "City Park" for Baltimore, 1907-1941. Historical Geography 34: 87-108. Contact the DNR librarian or your local library to request a copy.
- Kimmel, Ross, Offutt Johnson, and Dorna Cooper. (1994). Three centuries of service: the history and tradition of Maryland Rangers. Annapolis, MD: Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Available at the DNR Library. View the DNR Library catalog record.
- McCormick, Melissa. (2010). Meeting King Winter: snow sports at New Germany State Park. The Maryland Natural Resource. Winter 2010: 4-7. Read the article online.
- Parker, Eugene Philip. (2006). When forests trumped parks: The Maryland experience, 1906-1950. Maryland Historical Magazine 101(2): 203-259. Contact the DNR librarian or your local library to request a copy.