Wye Oak State Park consists of 29 acres, much of which protects the stream valley behind the park from development. The park is located on State Route 662 in the community of Wye Mills in Talbot County. This park primarily existed to protect the Wye Oak Tree which toppled on June 6, 2002. A pavilion containing a section fo the Wye Oak trunk and the original tree site can be viewed daily from sunrise to sunset.
Standing quietly next to the Wye Oak is a brick structure, a story and a half high. The structure dates back to colonial times and was once used as a one-room schoolhouse. The school house is believed to be the second oldest school in Talbot County. The Queen Anne Garden Club restored the "Little House," as they affectionately called it in 1952. The foundation was strengthened, windowpanes repaired and a walkway laid. The restored interior was furnished with a schoolmaster's desk and stool, a long pine table and benches, and a dunce stool.
Plans are currently underway to develop an interpretive display of the history of the Wye Oak on the grounds. The display will contain pieces of the Wye Oak, interpretive panels and a young wye oak sapling.
- Pets are allowed in Wye Oak State Park.
Interesting area landmarks
Old Wye Mill
The mill has been in operation since 1664 and continues to operate on a limited basis. Its ancient grindstones produce water ground flour similar to that produced at the mill for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. The mill is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Maryland Antiquities.
This church is said to be one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in the country. The original church was built in 1721 over the foundation of an earlier structure believed to have been built in the last seventeenth century. The exterior is the original brickwork. The interior features high box pews, a canopied hanging pulpit and original gifts to the church.
Limited picnic facilities are available.
Wye Oak State Park offers accessible picnic areas. For additional accessible amenities in Maryland State Forests and Parks, visit the Accessibility For All section of this website.
Wye Oak Facts
The Wye Oak, Maryland's State Tree and the largest White Oak in the United States, toppled June 6, 2002 during a thunderstorm in the village of Wye in Talbot County on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Believed to be more than 460 years old, the beloved tree was purchased by the State Maryland in 1939, and was declared Maryland's State Tree in 1941. The tree measured 31 feet 8 inches in circumference, 96 feet tall, crown spread of 119 feet - covering nearly one-third acre.
Location - The park is located on the Eastern Shore in Talbot County on MD RT. 662, approximately one mile from the intersection of RT. 50 and RT. 404.
Wye Oak State Park
Tuckahoe State Park
13070 Crouse Mill Road
Queen Anne, MD 21657
Contact Wye Oak
Hours of Operation
Sunrise to Sunset
Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Contact the Park Service
- Toll Free: 1-800-830-3974
- Reservations: 1-888-432-2267
- Park Watch: 1-800-825-7275
- Email Us