Chapel Point State Park is located on the beautiful Port Tobacco River, a tributary of the Potomac River. Chapel Point is an undeveloped multi-use park that boasts a waterfront that offers excellent fishing.
- Pets are allowed in Chapel Point State Park.
Fishing - A Maryland Bay Sport Tidal License is required. Watch your tides before visiting this area. At high tide there is almost no beach. This area has a small sand launch area that is suitable for the launch of small john-boats, canoes and kayaks, and personal watercraft. To check tides: http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/tides/index.asp
Hunting - is permitted in the 600 acre state park. The area provides suitable habitat for quail, squirrels, doves, rabbits, white-tailed deer, wild turkey and waterfowl. Game hunting is permitted during the seasons established by the Wildlife Division. Chapel Point has a small handicap hunting area. There are three established hunter parking areas. Sign-in boxes are located in each of those areas. A maximum of 45 hunters is permitted at any given time.
Hunters may enter / remain on park property outside of the regular posted hours provided that they are engaged in legitimate, authorized hunting activity.
Camping - Chapel Point has a paddle-in campsite available by permit only. Call 301-743-7613 for permits. Site is available seasonally.
Nearby Points of Interest
- Historic St. Ignatius Church, founded in 1641, is one of the oldest Catholic Parishes in continuous service in the United States. The church is located adjacent to State Park Property.
- Historic Port Tobacco Court House is located off of Chapel Point Road near the intersection of Route 6 and Chapel Point Road. In 1685 a naval port of entry for the Crown, the town remained a major port through the end of the Revolutionary War. Catslide House, Courthouse (1819) and museum are open for tours. Call 301-934-4313 for information.
- Friendship House is located on the LaPlata campus of the College of Southern Maryland. This reconstructed colonial home is reminiscent of the life and architecture of Maryland's early settlers. Call 301-259-4279 for information.
Directions: Chapel Point is located in southern Charles County approximately 5 miles south of La Plata. From the Route 6 and Route 301 intersection, take Route 301 south to Chapel Point Road. Follow Chapel Point Road in a westerly direction for approximately 2.3 miles to the park entrance.
For information on Chapel Point State Park contact:
Smallwood State Park
2750 Sweden Point Road
Marbury MD 20658
Contact Chapel Point
Phone: (301) 743-7613
Hours of Operation
Sunrise to Sunset
Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Contact the Park Service
- Toll Free: 1-800-830-3974
- Reservations: 1-888-432-2267
- Park Watch: 1-800-825-7275
- Email Us