Garrett State Forest -
Kindness Demonstration Area
Come out and enjoy a self-guided hike through the KINDNESS DEMONSTRATION AREA
The Kindness Demonstration Area features a 1.25 mile self guided hiking trail through 387 acres of forestland with signs explaining forest management and wildlife improvement practices.
Often referred to as the “birthplace of forestry and conservation in Maryland,” this area is part of the Garrett brothers’ original 2,000-acre land donation which started Maryland’s Forestry and Public Lands System.
See the forest through the trees and better understand how foresters manage our precious forest resources.
From I-68 East or West
- Take Exit 14 and merge onto U.S. Rt. 219 South toward Oakland - 26.0 Miles
- In Oakland, turn right onto East Green Street (first right past fire department) - < 0.1 Miles
- East Green Street becomes East Liberty Street at stop light - 1.4 Miles
- East Liberty Street becomes Herrington Manor Road - 0.1 Miles
- Turn left onto Fingerboard Road (first left past the bridge) - 2.8 Miles
- Kindness Demonstration Area will be on the left
For more information about
Kindness Demonstration Area and
Potomac-Garrett State Forest contact:
Potomac-Garrett State Forest
1431 Potomac Camp Road
Oakland, MD 21550
- AWP 2010
Annual Work Plans
- 10 Years Potomac-Garrett State Forest Plan - Volume I
- 10 Years Potomac-Garrett State Forest Plan - Volume II
Resource Management Plans