Why does a stream look the way it does? What lives in a stream? What is water chemistry? The answers to these questions can be quite complex, but these pages can give you a starting point to understanding some of the different ways you can look at a stream.
Terms used in this website are defined in this section.
Learn how the topography and land use surrounding rivers affects how they behave.
From microscopic bacteria to frogs and fish, explore the diversity of life in and around the water.
Small differences in chemistry can impact the health of stream communities.
Recent Streams News
- Like us on Facebook!
- Round Four of Statewide Sampling
- Recent study finds macroinvertebrates sensitive to nutrients in MD's headwater streams
- A guide to ID'ing the Maryland Darter
- New DNR Guiding Principles for River and Stream Management
- MBSS Round 3 Report Now Available
- Monitoring Dam Fish Passage on the Patapsco