This 1926-acre site situated on a peninsula between Nanjemoy Creek and the Potomac River, in southwestern Charles County consists of a mix of forested and upland habitats as well as tidal marsh, non-tidal ponds and wetlands, and agricultural fields. The property was acquired from the Corporation of the Roman Catholic Clergymen in April of 2009.
With habitats ranging from tidal mudflat to mature forest, Cedar Point WMA has a wide variety of wildlife. The tidal marsh and non-tidal wetlands abound with waterfowl, muskrat and turtles. Adult and immature bald eagles can be seen almost daily hunting the marshes and upland areas. A wide variety of forest interior dwelling birds can be observed during the nesting season. Upland areas featuring wildflowers and native grasses, early successional areas attract a myriad of species to the upland openings.
Hunters enjoy the pursuit of the numerous white-tailed deer found on the property. The forest and fields abound with wildlife. Check out a map of the area. Birders and hiders enjoy traversing the many farm lanes which wind throughout the property.
Cedar Point WMA is located in Charles County, 9 miles southwest of La Plata on Blossom Point Rd. Take Rt. 301 south to La Plata. Travel west on Rt. 6 for 6 miles, then Blossom Point Road south to Cedar Point WMA. For additional information, contact the Myrtle Grove Work Center at (301) 743-5161
Click Here for Map
Photograph courtesy of John White
This area is a part of Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources public land system and is managed by the Wildlife and Heritage Service. The primary mission of the WMA system is to conserve and enhance wildlife populations and their respective habitats as well as to provide public recreational use of the State’s wildlife resources.
Eighty-five percent of the funding for Maryland's state wildlife programs comes from hunting license fees and a federal excise tax on sport hunting devices and ammunition. The federal aid funds are derived from the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration (or Pittman-Robertson) Fund, which sportsmen and women have been contributing to since 1937. Each state receives a share of the funds, which is administered by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service; these funds are used for wildlife conservation and hunter education programs, including the management of the WMA system.
Other sources of funds for land acquisition include Program Open Space Funding for Maryland's State and local parks and conservation areas, provided through The Department of Natural Resources' Program Open Space. Established in 1969, Program Open Space symbolizes Maryland's long-term commitment to conserving natural resources while providing exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities.
580 Taylor Ave, Annapolis MD 21401