Fort Frederick State Park

Aerial view of Fort Frederick State ParkReservations

Contact: 301-842-2155
E-mail Fort Frederick State Park

Washington County

Fort Frederick State Park
11100 Fort Frederick Road
Big Pool MD 21711​

Hours: 8 a.m. to Sunset, April-October
10 a.m. to Sunset, November-March

Closure due to Road Repair and Repaving: The Picnic Area at Fort Frederick State Park will be closed due to a road repair and repaving project starting November 15, 2018. The closure is schedule through January 15, 2019. Picnic tables are available at the Fort and Visitor Center Parking Lots. Access to the Plantation Trail will be available from the Visitor Center. If you have questions please contact the Park at 301-842-2155.

The centerpiece of the Fort Frederick State Park is a unique stone fort that served as Maryland’s frontier defense during the French and Indian War. Built in 1756, the Fort's stone wall and two barracks have been restored to their 1758 appearance. Historic exhibits are in the Fort, barracks, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Museum and Visitor Center. The fort barracks are open seven days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day and on the weekends in the spring and fall, when staff and volunteers dress in period clothing and occupy the fort, demonstrating daily life in the 18th century. The 585-acre park borders the Potomac River and The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal passes through the park. The park also features a boat launch, campsites, camp store, fishing, flat water canoeing, hiking trails, a playground, a picnic area and large pavilion. Group tours are available seasonally.

Visitor Center
Captain Wort's Sutler Shop
Fishing and Boating
Picnicking and Pavilion
Virtual Tour of the Barracks
Fort Frederick in the Civil War
Standards for Historic Weapons Use
Volunteer Opportunities
Friends of Fort Frederick State Park
Fort Frederick Strategic Management Plan
Western Maryland Rail Trail
Woodmont NRMA State Park

Civilian Conservation Corps re-building Fort FrederickOne Fort, Three Wars

The stone fort built in 1756 protected Maryland’s frontier settlers during the French and Indian War. The fort saw service during the American Revolution as a prison for British soldiers. During the Civil War, Union troops were often stationed near the fort to guard the C & O Canal.

​In 1922, the State of Maryland acquired the fort and in the 1930's, the Civilian Conservation Corps restored the fort walls and began development of the state park. Click here to view photographs of the reconstruction project.

Throughout the year, the park features events and re-enactments that mark Fort Frederick's long and colorful history.